GEMS World Academy-Dubai admits students according to the Ministry of Education and KHDA’s regulations as well as the GEMS admissions policies. In conjunction with previous school reports, placement assessments are designed to determine a student’s readiness for the GWA program including any language and/or special needs support for which additional fees are charged.
Our assessments are conducted in English, however students who are non-speakers or new to the language are assessed using English as an Additional Language materials (Pre-K to Grade 5 only). Parents are encouraged to make sure that their child is well rested and fed prior to the session as being tired or hungry can adversely affect their assessment.
The assessment process differs by grade level as indicated below:
Nursery to KG2
- Students are invited for an observational/practical assessment to determine school readiness. The sessions are generally conducted in small groups whenever possible, one-on-one as required, and last approximately 30 minutes.
- Students in the early childhood program must be potty-trained by the start of school.
Grades 1 – 5
- Assessments are conducted on a one-to-one basis with an Elementary Counselor, encompass literacy and numeracy skills, and last approximately 1 hour.
- For Grades 3 – 5 there is an additional online component, using the computer MAP test including Reading Comprehension and Math.
Grades 6 – 12
- Assessments are conducted using the computer MAP test including Reading Comprehension, Math, and Language/Vocabulary, and last approximately 1.5 hours.
If your child has recently completed MAP testing in their current school, these results can be used and the onsite GWA assessment can be waived.
To view our full Admissions Policy please click here.