Middle Years Programme - Grade 6 - 10 (MYP)
GWA follows the International Baccalaureate's Middle Years Programme (MYP), which is a natural progression from the PYP and excellent preparation for the DP in Grade 11 and 12. The MYP spans Grades 6-10, a time when adolescents are undergoing rapid and far-reaching physical, emotional and intellectual development. The curriculum that is taught and the teaching and learning provided are all designed to meet the needs of this particular developmental stage. Students will gain knowledge and undefined information with rigor in an environment that promotes student inquiry and the development of conceptual ideas and creative and critical thinking.
THE CURRICULUM MODEL (From Principles into Practice)
Students follow a broad and balanced curriculum, organized into the 8 subject groups:
- Language and Literature
- Language Acquisition
- Individuals and Societies
- Physical and Health Education
Through teacher planning and student engagement, students make links and connections in their learning by using the global contexts for learning with a focus on conceptual understandings. Additionally, the “Approaches to Learning" skills, support students in developing the skills needed to understand and manage the complexities of our world, and provide them with the skills and attitudes they need in order to take responsible action in the future.
Teaching and learning in the MYP at GWA is based in the understanding that students learn best when the learning is:
- engaging, challenging, rigorous, relevant and significant
- appropriately supported with feedback
- understood and accommodated for students with diverse needs
- structured so students feel secure and that their ideas are valued and respect
- based on how students "learn best" and supports the development of new thoughts, ideas and connections between other disciplines
For information on different aspects of the Middle Years Programme, see the links below: